Thursday, June 24, 2010

chocolate coconut bon-bons.

Recently, my dad was diagnosed with a mild case of diabetes. So in the interest of cutting out some of the refined sugar out of our diets, I was on the hunt for recipes that used Splenda as opposed to white sugar. While I am not a huge fan of Splenda in general, these candy-like treats turned out amazing and I would most definitely make them again.
And by the way,
Andrew couldn't stop eating them.
That's the mark of a perfect treat! :)
z 157
Chocolate Coconut Bon Bons
Ingredients:
½ cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
1½ cups Splenda
1 cup fat free sweetened condensed milk
2 cups flaked coconut
2½ cups Rice Crispy cereal
9 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
{This is what was recommended by the recipe, but I needed much more. Maybe I am way too heavy handed with the chocolate?!}

In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, Splenda, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix in the coconut and rice cereal to form a workable dough. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. {I left them in overnight and they were fine.}

Melt chocolate over a double boiler, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat when melted. Use a toothpick or something similar to hold the bon bons with while you are dipping them. {I used a smores fork since I don't have any toothpicks at the moment. Worked perfectly haha!} Set on wax paper to dry completely and then enjoy!!
PS.
I am thinking these would be delicious if they were frozen or chilled as well!

If any of you have yummy recipes for diabetics,
please email them my way!
I would love to expand on this, and try some new things. :)
Enjoy your Thursday, xo!

4 comments:

Preppy Mama said...

OMG! Those look amazing. I am definitely making them!! My husband is diabetic. While I have such a sweet tooth, he does not. I have yet to bake with Splenda, but I am excited to try. Looking forward to more recipes!! Have a great weekend!

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

those look yummy! it's 7:40 in the morning and i'm craving chocolate. is that bad?

p.s. i hope your dad is doing well. it's wonderful that they caught this early!

Trish said...

Yum! I love coconut and chocolate!!

Anonymous said...

stop already! first the nutella, now this. And chilled? Oh my goodness. It's been so humid here lately, that would be absolutely delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...