So I thought I would share something with you all as well... every Friday I am going to devote my blog to a "fit and healthy" topic! If you have any good tips for all of us, leave a comment here or email me to let me know. I want to include all of you in this so we can bounce ideas around and help out all of the friends we have made in the blog world! :)
- Stair climbing burns almost 700% the number of calories you burn standing on an elevator.
- Just two minutes of stair-climbing each day burns enough calories to eliminate the one pound an average adult gains each year.
- Men who climbed at least 20 floors a week (about 3 floors a day) had a 20% lower risk of stroke or death from all causes, in one study.
- Stair-climbing has been shown to raise good cholesterol and improve cardiovascular health
- Stair use also advances the city’s GreeNYC effort to reduce energy consumption. An escalator that operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, can use 28,000 kilowatt hours of energy over the course of a year. That’s enough to create 43,000 pounds of carbon dioxide – more than three times the amount a car produces.
AMAZING, right??? This is something that is not only beneficial in New York City, but anywhere in the world. We can all incorporate this idea into our lives- I know there are lots of times when I can ditch the elevator and drag my butt up those stairs. It is a small change we can make, but it makes a huge impact in the end. :)
Will you be taking the stairs this week??! Can't wait until next Friday so we can chat about the healthy things in our life!! Have a great weekend everyone, xo!